- 7” 1280x800 HD display (216 ppi)
- 1 GB RAM
- 8 or 16GB of storage
- Quad core Tegra 3 Processor 1.3GHz (single core) or 1.2 GHz (2 or more cores)
- 12 core GPU
- 1.2MP Front Camera
- 4325 mAh battery
- Micro USB
- Android 4.1
From the early reviews, its been the majority very positive which is good for Android and consumers. Some journalists or tech bloggers mistakenly try to compare this tablet against the Apple iPad. Time and time again, TabletConnect believes these types of comparisons are useless and are of a disservice to consumers. In order to get "eyeballs", these writers are always talking about whether a new tablet will be the "iPad-killer". Wrong, the market for the Nexus 7 is not the same as the market for an iPad. The Nexus 7 and any tablet priced under $250 are designed for a different market and price point. You do not compare the new Toyota Prius to the Lexus ES. Different price points, different markets. Now that we got that out of the way, the Nexus 7 will probably do very well in terms of sales and will beat any tablet in this price range.
The new Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) is an improvement over 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) and based on the reviews, it is a good one. Here are some of the highlights of Android 4.1:
- Higher frame rate for animations allowing smooth transitions and interface.
- Smarter notifications - more information & better interaction.
- Improved keyboard including new predictive text system.
- Speech-to-text now available offline (no internet connection required)
- Chrome is now the default browser.
- Icons auto-arrange when moving them around. Widgets will resize themselves when they do not fit on a screen.
- Google Now - natural search (apparently similar to Siri). Will learn through additional searching and will be able to provide information before you even ask. I am very curious to test this out.
- Android Beam - using NFC, one can beam photos and videos to other Android Beam devices.
P.S. There are already rumors that Google is working on a 10" version which wouldn't surprise us.